Data Management Astronomer - Pipelines
Ref0070 / Deadline: November 21st, 2018 (14:00h CET)
Abierto / Open
The "Centro de Estudios de Física del Cosmos de Aragón" (CEFCA) invites applications for a staff position of "Data Management Astronomer – Pipelines" for the management and development of the software for processing the data produced at the Observatorio Astrofísico de Javalambre (OAJ).
CEFCA is an independent research institute located in Teruel, Spain, whose main responsibilities are the development, operation, management, and scientific exploitation of the OAJ, as well as the processing and storage of the data produced by its astronomical facilities. The main telescopes at the OAJ are the 83cm Javalambre Auxiliary Survey Telescope (JAST) and the 2.5m Javalambre Survey Telescope (JST).
JAST has a field of view (FoV) diameter of 2 deg and a panoramic camera, T80Cam, with a large format CCD of ~9.2k x 9.2k pix. The system T80Cam@JAST provides an effective FoV of 2 deg2. Apart from a 20% of open time dedicated to competitive P.I. projects, since 2016 JAST is primarily devoted to conduct the Javalambre Photometric Local Universe Survey (J-PLUS), whose first 1000 deg2 have been recently released to the community (DR1).
The data from T80Cam@JAST is being used also as a test-bench for the Javalambre Panoramic Camera (JPCam), foreseen to be installed at the JST in 2019. The system JPCam@JST provides a 4.7 deg2 FoV with 14 CCDs identical to that of T80Cam. JPCam hosts a complete new set of 54 filters of ~140A width covering the whole optical spectral range plus two broader filters at the blue and red ends to carry out the Javalambre PAU (Physics of the Accelerated Universe) Astrophysical Survey (J-PAS). J-PAS will produce photo-spectra of hundreds of millions of astronomical objects with a wide range of applications in Astrophysics and Cosmology. In addition, since CEFCA is an official leading node of the Ground Segment OU-EXT of the ESA Euclid mission, JPCam@JST will conduct the Javalambre-Euclid Deep Imaging Survey in g-band (JEDIS-g) in the next years.
The Unit for Data Processing and Archiving (UPAD) at CEFCA is the department responsible for the design and implementation of the hardware and software to conduct the archiving and treatment of the OAJ images and the by-products from their analysis. To achieve this goal, the UPAD consists of astronomers, software engineers and hardware engineers working in close collaboration. The UPAD team is developing its own data reduction and data processing pipeline making use of common third-party open software like Python, Astromatic software (SExtractor, Scamp, SWarp, PSFEx) and photo-z codes like LePhare. Currently, the pipeline is in a very advanced version and has been used for the DR1 of J-PLUS. In addition, UPAD has also developed its own tools to provide easy and flexible access to the data produced at the OAJ. The UPAD is in continue development and improvement of the data processing tools to meet the stringent scientific requirements of projects like J-PLUS, J-PAS and JEDIS-g.
CEFCA is seeking for a post-doctoral astronomer with long experience in massive data reduction of optical images. The successful candidate will join the UPAD team and will be responsible, in close collaboration with UPAD software and hardware engineers, for the data reduction and data processing of all the data coming from the instruments of the OAJ.
The successful candidate will become full member of the J-PLUS and J-PAS collaborations. As an important benefit, after three years of contract in this position, the researcher will get the “builder” status for the J-PLUS and J-PAS collaborations, hence having the right to appear as author of all the publications of both projects. In addition, as CEFCA staff, the successful candidate will have the right to become Euclid member.
The successful candidate will join the UPAD team at CEFCA to carry out the following duties:
- Be responsible for the coordination of the development and maintenance of the software (“pipelines”) for the reduction of the images being produced by the facilities of the OAJ.
- Active participation in the development and maintenance of software for processing images from:
- T80Cam, for J-PLUS and Open Time projects.
- Pathfinder, currently installed at JST.
- JPCam, for J-PAS, JEDIS-g and Open Time projects.
- Design, implementation and maintenance of software packages to carry out the image combination, object detection and final photometry from any astronomical instrument of the OAJ.
- Participate in the development of the modules to calibrate the photometry and integrate them into the data reduction pipeline with special care on the proper treatment of the 2D spatial variation of the transmission curve of the filters.
- Participate in the commissioning of the JPCam camera. Analysis of the instrumental response of the CCDs, linearity test, stability of the flat-field frames, cross-talk, etc.
- Improvement of the pipeline packages once the instrumental behaviour is understood after the commissioning phase.
- Participate in the implementation of third-party software in our pipeline, mainly software developed within our main collaborations (J-PLUS, J-PAS, Euclid).
- Maintenance and update of the data reduction software packages.
- Analysis of the data being produced at the OAJ using the suitable tools for massive data analysis, like machine learning tools.
The successful candidate is expected to develop her/his scientific activity preferentially in one of the two CEFCA main research lines, namely Galaxy Formation and Evolution and Cosmology.
Valuable Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in the implementation and usage of optical astronomical image processing software, in particular in wide field and/or multi-CCD optical cameras.
- Experience in photometric calibration of optical images.
- Demonstrated experience in programming with Python. Knowledge of programming in other languages like C, C++, or Fortran, will be evaluated positively.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation of software in a structured environment, in particular in the use of control version software like Git.
- Experience with relational databases, like e.g. MySQL.
- Experience working inside a software development team.
- Experience in synthetic photometry.
- Experience in big data analysis tools like machine learning tools.
Terms and conditions
|Education:||PhD in Astronomy or related fields|
|Languages:||Fluent in English|
|Work Place:||CEFCA Headquarters, Teruel, Spain, with possible work stays at the OAJ|
|Contract Duration:||After an initial period not longer than 2 years, this contract will turn into a permanent position as CEFCA staff.|
|Salary:||Depending on the level of knowledge, experience and suitability for the offered position.|
In order to be considered, applications shall include: 1) CV, 2) brief statement of research interests, and 3) two reference letters, to be submitted via email (Subject: "Ref.0070. Data Management Astronomer – Pipelines”) to firstname.lastname@example.org by the above closing date.
CEFCA is an equal opportunity employer committed to increase the diversity in its workplace. Applications of candidates from underrepresented social groups in our staff are welcome.
CEFCA is committed in promoting the gender parity among its staff. Hence, applications from women are strongly welcome.
Being aware of the impact of family leaves (maternity, paternity, adoption, or leaves to take care of family members with serious health conditions) on scientific careers, properly justified family leaves will be taken into consideration during the evaluation process.
|Further information:||Javier Cenarro (email@example.com)|
Jesús Varela (firstname.lastname@example.org)
CEFCA is a young research institute located in Teruel, Spain. While being relatively modest in size (pop. 35000 inhab.), the city of Teruel combines the services of a province capital with a rich historical and cultural heritage, what directly benefits its quality of life and made it a very family-friendly place. Teruel is situated at about 90 mins away driving from two major Spanish capitals like Zaragoza and Valencia, and about 60 mins from the Mediterranean coast (see here for further details).
Conforme a la Ley Orgánica 15/1999, de Protección de Datos de Carácter Personal, le informamos que los datos facilitados por usted mediante su currículum vitae serán incorporados y/o actualizados en los ficheros de Fundación Centro de Estudios de Física del Cosmos de Aragón y debidamente inscritos en el Registro de la Agencia de Protección de Datos, de los que es responsable Fundación Centro de Estudios de Física del Cosmos de Aragón, con CIF G44227148.
La finalidad de esta recogida de datos será la de gestionar el proceso de selección de personal actual o futuro. Usted da, como titular de los datos, su consentimiento y autorización para la inclusión de los mismos en el fichero anteriormente detallado.
En el caso que se produzca en un futuro alguna modificación de sus datos, le rogamos nos lo comunique debidamente por escrito.
En cualquier caso, podrá ejercitar gratuitamente los derechos de acceso, rectificación, cancelación y oposición mediante escrito acompañado de copia de su DNI a la dirección CEFCA, Plaza San Juan 1, 2ª Planta, 44001 Teruel o enviándonos un correo electrónico firmado electrónicamente a la dirección email@example.com.