Data Management Researcher - Pipelines
Ref0093 / Deadline: December 10th, 2021 (14:00h CET)
Abierto / Open
The "Centro de Estudios de Física del Cosmos de Aragón" (CEFCA) invites applications for a staff position of "Data Management Researcher – Pipelines" for the management and development of the software for processing the data produced at the Observatorio Astrofísico de Javalambre (OAJ).
CEFCA is an independent research institute located in Teruel, Spain, whose main responsibilities are the development, operation, management, and scientific exploitation of the OAJ, as well as the processing and storage of the data produced by its astronomical facilities. The main telescopes at the OAJ are the 83cm Javalambre Auxiliary Survey Telescope (JAST80) and the 2.5m Javalambre Survey Telescope (JST250), both of them having large fields of view (FoV) and being equipped with panoramic instrumentation.
JAST80 has a FoV diameter of 2 deg and a panoramic camera, T80Cam, with a large format CCD of ~9.2k x 9.2k pix. The T80Cam@JAST80 system provides an effective FoV of 2 deg2. Apart from a 20% of Open Time dedicated to competitive P.I. projects, since 2016 JAST80 is primarily devoted to conduct the Javalambre Photometric Local Universe Survey (J-PLUS), whose second data release of over 2000 deg2 was offered to the community in 2020 (DR2).
The data from T80Cam@JAST80 is being used also as a test-bench for the Javalambre Panoramic Camera (JPCam) already installed at the JST250 and currently in commissioning phase. The system JPCam@JST250 provides a 4.7 deg2 FoV with 14 CCDs identical to that of T80Cam. JPCam hosts a complete new set of 54 filters of ~140Å width covering the whole optical spectral range plus two broader filters at the blue and red ends to carry out the Javalambre PAU (Physics of the Accelerated Universe) Astrophysical Survey (J-PAS). J-PAS will produce photo-spectra of hundreds of millions of astronomical objects with a wide range of applications in Astrophysics and Cosmology. In addition, since CEFCA is an official leading node of the Ground Segment OU-EXT of the ESA Euclid mission, JPCam@JST250 will conduct the Javalambre-Euclid Deep Imaging Survey in g-band (JEDIS-g) in the next years.
The Unit for Data Processing and Archiving (UPAD) at CEFCA is the department responsible for the design and implementation of the hardware and software to conduct the archiving and treatment of the OAJ images and the by-products from their analysis. To achieve this goal, the UPAD consists of astronomers, software engineers and hardware engineers working in close collaboration. The UPAD team is developing its own data reduction and data processing pipeline making use of common third-party open software like Python, Astromatic software (SExtractor, Scamp, SWarp, PSFEx) and photo-z codes like LePhare. Currently, the pipeline is in a very advanced version and has been used for the DR1 and DR2 of J-PLUS and the public data release of the mini-JPAS project (mini-JPAS PDR201912). In addition, UPAD has also developed its own tools to provide easy and flexible access to the data produced at the OAJ. The UPAD is in continue development and improvement of the data processing tools to meet the stringent scientific requirements of projects like J-PLUS, J-PAS and JEDIS-g.
CEFCA is seeking for a post-doctoral researcher with long experience in massive data reduction of optical images. The successful candidate will join the UPAD team and will be responsible, in close collaboration with UPAD software and hardware engineers, for the data reduction and data processing of all the data coming from the scientific instruments of the OAJ.
The successful candidate will become full member of the J-PLUS and J-PAS collaborations. As an important benefit, after three years of contract in this position, the researcher will get the "builder" status for the J-PLUS and J-PAS collaborations, hence having the right to appear as author of all the publications of both projects. In addition, as CEFCA staff, the successful candidate will have the right to become Euclid member.
The successful candidate will join the UPAD team at CEFCA to:
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of the software ("pipelines") for the reduction of the images being produced by the facilities of the OAJ.
- Actively participate in the development and maintenance of software for processing images from:
- T80Cam, for J-PLUS and Open Time projects.
- Pathfinder, formerly installed at JST250.
- JPCam, currently installed at JST250, for J-PAS, JEDIS-g and Open Time projects.
- Any future scientific instrument installed at OAJ.
- Participate in the design, implementation and maintenance of software packages to carry out the image combination, object detection and final photometry from any astronomical instrument of the OAJ.
- Participate in the development of the modules to calibrate the photometry and integrate them into the data reduction pipeline with special care on the proper treatment of the 2D spatial variation of the transmission curve of the filters.
- Participate in the commissioning of the JPCam camera. Analysis of the instrumental response of the CCDs, linearity test, stability of the flat-field frames, cross-talk, etc.
- Work in the improvement of the pipeline packages once the instrumental behaviour is understood after the commissioning phase.
- Participate in the implementation of third-party software in our pipeline, mainly software developed within our main collaborations (J-PLUS, J-PAS, Euclid).
- Participate in the maintenance and update of the data reduction software packages.
- Carry out analysis of the data being produced at the OAJ using the suitable tools for massive data analysis, like machine learning tools.
The successful candidate is expected to develop her/his scientific activity preferentially with OAJ data.
Valuable Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in the implementation and usage of optical astronomical image processing software, in particular in wide field and/or multi-CCD optical cameras.
- Experience in photometric calibration of optical images.
- Demonstrated experience in programming with Python. Knowledge of programming in other languages like C, C++, or Fortran, will be evaluated positively.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation of software in a structured environment, in particular in the use of control version software like Git.
- Experience with relational databases, like e.g. MySQL.
- Experience working inside a software development team.
- Experience in synthetic photometry.
- Experience in big data analysis tools like machine learning tools.
Terms and conditions
|Education:||PhD in Astronomy or related fields|
|Languages:||Fluent in English|
|Work Place:||CEFCA Headquarters, Teruel, Spain, with possible work stays at the OAJ|
|Contract Duration:||Permanent position.|
|Salary:||Depending on the level of knowledge, experience and suitability for the offered position.|
In order to be considered, applications shall include: 1) CV, 2) brief statement of research interests, and 3) two reference letters, to be submitted via email (Subject: "Ref.0093. Data Management Researcher - Pipelines”) to email@example.com by the above closing date.
CEFCA is an equal opportunity employer committed to increase the diversity in its workplace. Applications of candidates from underrepresented social groups in our staff are welcome.
CEFCA is committed in promoting the gender parity among its staff. Hence, applications from women are strongly welcome.
Being aware of the impact of family leaves (maternity, paternity, adoption, or leaves to take care of family members with serious health conditions) on scientific careers, properly justified family leaves will be taken into consideration during the evaluation process.
Conforme a la Ley Orgánica 15/1999, de Protección de Datos de Carácter Personal, le informamos que los datos facilitados por usted mediante su currículum vitae serán incorporados y/o actualizados en los ficheros de Fundación Centro de Estudios de Física del Cosmos de Aragón y debidamente inscritos en el Registro de la Agencia de Protección de Datos, de los que es responsable Fundación Centro de Estudios de Física del Cosmos de Aragón, con CIF G44227148.
La finalidad de esta recogida de datos será la de gestionar el proceso de selección de personal actual o futuro. Usted da, como titular de los datos, su consentimiento y autorización para la inclusión de los mismos en el fichero anteriormente detallado.
En el caso que se produzca en un futuro alguna modificación de sus datos, le rogamos nos lo comunique debidamente por escrito.
En cualquier caso, podrá ejercitar gratuitamente los derechos de acceso, rectificación, cancelación y oposición mediante escrito acompañado de copia de su DNI a la dirección CEFCA, Plaza San Juan 1, 2ª Planta, 44001 Teruel o enviándonos un correo electrónico firmado electrónicamente a la dirección firstname.lastname@example.org.